These sweet dinner rolls are fondly referred to by friends and family as the ‘crack rolls’ because they are highly addictive and can cause fights for the first one… another one… last one, etc.
As you can see at the top of the photo, a roll has already been stolen before I could even take one. REALLY GUYS?!
I mostly make little round rolls, but you can shape the dough into a log and make a knot (three of them are knots) and that works as well. Tastes just as good!
Sweet Dinner Rolls (aka, crack rolls)
These are exceptionally sweet and light dinner rolls with a buttery topping that can cause instant addiction and potentially fighting for the last one…
- 2 1/2 cups milk (warm ~109 degrees)
- 4 tsp active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tsp salt
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter (soft (not melted))
- 7 cups flour
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- Combine the milk and yeast and let sit for 3-4 minutes, stirring in and melting the yeast (this is important to activate it).
- Mix in the sugar and then the (already beaten) eggs.
- Pour the liquid mixture in the mixing bowl and add 4 cups of the flour and the softened butter and allow to mix for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the 5th cup of flour and mix for 3 minutes before adding the salt.
- Add the 6th cup of flour and mix until it is completely absorbed and then slowly add the 7th cup of flour and mix only until it is absorbed.
- Roll the very soft dough out onto a floured surface and kneed for about 5 minutes.
- Form the dough into a ball and place in a bowl greased with 2 tbsp. olive oil and cover. Store in a warm place for about 1 ½ hours (or until double in size).
- Punch down the dough, cover it and let it rise again until doubles. Repeat this two more times.
- Turn the dough out on a floured surface and cut into 3 oz. pieces and shape them into small balls and place on a floured baking stone (or greased baking pan).
- Cover the rolls with a soft cloth and place in a warm place and allow to rise for at least 30 minutes.
- Bake rolls in preheated oven at 400 degrees until golden brown (10-15 minutes). When rolls are finished baking, drizzle melted butter over the top and serve warm.
After the rolls come out of the oven, let sit for about 10 minutes and then with a basting brush, brush the tops with melted butter. Wait about 3 minutes and repeat.