I wanted something quick and easy to make before breakfast… kind’ve get everyone going in the morning with the smell leading them to the kitchen.
This recipe is a winner! Prior to it, I had never made biscuits well before… I always ended up with hockey pucks and after awhile stopped trying. Now with so many choices on the internet, I’ve read about it, watched videos and this recipe is my final say.
The big breakthrough for me was the way the butter was processed–I used a cheese grater (the coarse-holed one) to get the butter into uniform pieces and with it very cold, it was easy to grate. Having the dry ingredients crumbly and not kneeding it to uniform smoothness (like you would bread) allowed the butter to keep in little pockets that when they melt allow the biscuits to break away and crumble in your mouth!
For you WordPress users (who want to know), I found the WP Ultimate Recipe plugin online and this is my first time using it–very cool! You can print out the recipe and it will end up with its own search structure. This is the free version and if I end up doing a lot of recipe sharing, I’ll definitely be upgrading. Now of course I have to go back and put my other recipes into it!
Buttermilk Biscuits in 30 minutes!
These are amazing for a quick breakfast surprise and makes the kitchen smell awesome!
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup sweet cream salted butter (very cold (or you can use lard))
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine the flour, salt, baking soda, cream of tartar and baking powder in a large bowl and whisk together to combine.
- Take very cold butter and grate it using a cheese grater and carefully combine it with the dry ingredients, ensuring the butter doesn’t lump but remains crumbly in the mix
- This is what the mixture looks like after combining the butter.
- Add the milk slowly (I work it with my hands). I usually use just a bit less than the 2 cups so it isn’t runny at all.
- Turn out the dough onto a well-floured surface–I use my marble board. Kneed it a few times to make it into a moist dough and roll out to 3/4 to 1 inch thick. Cut out the biscuits with a round glass or cookie cutter. I use my dough scraper to pick up the biscuit and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for approximately 12 minutes at 450 degrees.
I generally get about 18 biscuits, however they have been known to disappear. They also have the effect of causing people to appear after sharing the news on social media.
*If you don’t have buttermilk, you can use two cups of regular milk with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and let sit for 10 minutes.